For homeowners who really want to be involved with the purchase of the raw lumber for their flooring, today’s post should be very helpful. We wanted to give you a visual demonstration of how to buy lumber correctly. Our two experts in this video, Asa Christiana, editor of Fine Woodworking Magazine, and Matt Berger, of Woodworking.com, have collaborated on a series of videos about how to get started in woodworking. While we don’t think most homeowners want to do it all themselves, the information provided in this particular video should be very helpful if you’re considering buying wide plank hardwood flooring.
And yes, Kellogg Hardwood Lumber is one of the two lumberyards that Asa and Matt visit in the video!
Some of the topics they cover in the video include:
- The differences between hardwoods and softwoods
- How to choose the correct grade of wood
- “Quartersawn” wood explained
- The importance of properly dried wood
- How to buy rough lumber for flooring or any project
Enjoy the video!